Limited resources and space prevent us from acquiring everything that is published, so we buy the books and materials that most match the use and requests of our patrons. However, our library is part of a network of participating libraries which are willing to loan out materials to other libraries and we can usually borrow items we do not own from another library. This is called interlibrary loan. This service is a great way for us to expand the range of materials we provide for our patrons.
If we don’t have the book (print or audio), CD, DVD, or magazine that you are looking for, ask the staff to get it for you from another library. Requests can be made in person, by phone, or by email (email@example.com).
Most items are delivered to our library in 4-7 days. The loan periods vary, but you are able to keep most items at least 2 weeks. The staff will inform you of the loan period when you pick up the item.
The purpose of this policy is to explain the process for borrowing and lending library materials with other Iowa libraries through the Interlibrary Loan Program supported by the State Library of Iowa.
Interlibrary Loan Policy
1. The Solon Public Library participates in the statewide Interlibrary Loan Program (ILL). This is a reciprocal system: to be able to borrow materials from other libraries, we have to be willing to loan our materials when requested.
2. The loan period for ILL items is one month and can be extended, when requested.
3. Loans will only be made for books that are at least 6 months past the original publishing date. This rule applies to both items that we are lending and those that we might wish to borrow.
4. Solon Public Library does not currently charge a mailing fee to our patrons for this service. The State Library of Iowa provides IA Shares delivery service between all Iowa public libraries. We cover the cost of mailing to any libraries not included in the IA Shares delivery service.
5. ILL service is available to all patrons in Solon or Johnson County patron groups with a valid Solon Public Library card. Any Open Access patrons are directed to request ILL loans from their home library.
6. We will not request to borrow a book that we already own, unless the patron needs it for a book club and our copy is not available.
7. The patron is responsible for any late or damage fees assessed by the lending library.
8. Solon Public Library Circulation Policy regarding lost or damaged items applies to ILL items. A patron’s account will be frozen if they have lost or damaged an ILL item resulting in $10.00 fees or greater.