Solon Public Library Director Position
Posting date: Oct. 30, 2020 Updated: Nov. 13, 2020
Library Director: Solon, IA
Solon Public Library is seeking a passionate, organized and creative individual as Director for our library which serves the community of Solon, IA and rural residents in the surrounding county. The Library Director reports to the Library Board of Trustees and collaborates with City of Solon Administration.
Education and Experience: A Masters of Library Science and four years library experience. Experience supervising and evaluating staff. Must maintain appropriate certification.
· Knowledge--general library practices and procedures; cataloging, reference, research and bibliographic tools and techniques. Knowledge and experience in technology services and social media.
· Managerial skills--ability to develop clear and appropriate objectives, plans and procedures to monitor programs and projects. Ability to find and use information, to evaluate alternatives and select appropriate approaches to a variety of challenges. Ability to set and meet goals and deadlines, maintain records and gather/present data for decision-making.
· Financial skills—ability to present budgetary and financial information in an organized and understandable manner. Ability to read and understand accounting statements. Capacity to monitor financial accounts, identify expenditure patterns and take or recommend corrective action, as needed.
· Interpersonal skills—ability to understand and be sensitive to the needs of individual colleagues, patrons and community members. Ability to supervise professional, technical, and clerical staff and volunteers. Ability to collaborate and communicate with a variety of community groups and city administration. Keeps Board apprised of library and community news and is responsive to requests from the Board of Trustees.
· Communication skills—ability to write effectively in a clear, readable manner with appropriate style, format, organization and grammar. Ability to speak and listen effectively in one-to-one and group situations.
· Physical skills-light lifting, stretching, kneeling. Ascending and descending stairs while carrying objects.
This is a salaried position, $40,000-$65,000, with full benefits including: health/dental/vision insurance, IPERS, paid holidays, sick leave and vacation benefits.
Updated Application deadline is November 25, 2020. Interested applicants may send application, cover letter and resume to: SPLhiring@solon.lib.ia.us.