Solon Public Library is hosting a contest for the best decorated pumpkin, just in time for Halloween! Pick out the perfect pumpkin and get it all dressed up for the season!
- Pumpkins must be smaller than 8 inches in diameter.
- Pumpkins may NOT be carved or hollowed out.
- Paint, paper, and other craft materials or objects may be painted, pinned or adhered to the pumpkin to design or dress them up. Remember, do not hollow out your pumpkin.
- The main part of each entry must be a pumpkin or member of the pumpkin family.
- Each entry must have a title.
- All entries must be registered at the library by October 26 at 7 PM to be part of the voting process.
- Pumpkins may be taken home after the contest anytime between October 27 and October 31. The Library is closed on Friday, October 28th. Pumpkins must be picked up no later than October 31 at 4 PM. Pumpkins left after this time will be discarded.
Note: The Library reserves the right to dispose of any pumpkin(s) that starts to rot during the contest period.
Categories & Prizes
Littles: Birth to PreK - Pegasus Bundle
Kids: Kindergarten to Grade 5 - Monster Bundle
Teens: Grades 6 to 12 - Skill Kit and $10 Zoetic Gift Card
Adults: Age 18+ - $20 Eat Shop Gift Card
Family: All Ages - Wilson’s Apple Cider and Donuts
Please enter the pumpkin into the age group in which most of the participants fit. For example: If a parent is providing minimal help, the pumpkin may be entered into the Kids category, if a parent provides significant help, it should get placed in the Family category.
Judging will take place on the morning of October 27.
Pumpkins will be judged on the following criteria:
- Ingenious use of inexpensive materials
- Suitability of the title
- Quality of the work in light of participant’s age
- Choose a firm pumpkin with no blemishes and make sure the stem is firmly attached.
- Store pumpkin in a cool, dry place.
- Before decorating, wash your pumpkin under running water to remove dirt and debris.
- Use acrylic paint if you wish to paint your pumpkin.
- Don’t carve your pumpkin as that will cause it to rot and disqualify you.
- Use a glue gun or straight puns to attach decorations to your pumpkin.