Solon Public Library is hosting a contest for the best decorated pumpkin, just in time for Halloween! Pick out the perfect pumpkin and get it all dressed up for the season!
- Pumpkins must be smaller than 8 inches in diameter.
- Pumpkins may NOT be carved or hollowed out.
- Paint, paper, and other craft materials or objects may be painted, pinned or adhered to the pumpkin to design or dress them up. Remember, do not hollow out your pumpkin.
- The main part of each entry must be a pumpkin or member of the pumpkin family.
- Each entry must have a title.
- All entries must be registered at the library by October 21 at 7 PM to be part of the voting process.
- Pumpkins may be taken home after the contest anytime between October 23 and October 30. Pumpkins must be picked up no later than October 30 at 5 PM. Pumpkins left after this time will be discarded.
Note: The Library reserves the right to dispose of any pumpkin(s) that starts to rot during the contest period.
Categories & Prizes
Kids: Birth to Grade 4 - Decorative Mug and Hot Cocoa Bomb
Teens: Grades 5 to 12 - Travel Mug and Hot Cocoa Bomb
Adults: Age 18+ - $15 Gift Card to Good Vibes
Family: All Ages - Wilson’s Apple Cider and Donuts
Please enter the pumpkin into the age group in which most of the participants fit. For example: If a parent is providing minimal help, the pumpkin may be entered into the Kids category, if a parent provides significant help, it should get placed in the Family category.
Judging will take place on the morning of October 22.
Pumpkins will be judged on the following criteria:
- Ingenious use of inexpensive materials
- Suitability of the title
- Quality of the work in light of participant’s age
- Choose a firm pumpkin with no blemishes and make sure the stem is firmly attached.
- Store pumpkin in a cool, dry place.
- Before decorating, wash your pumpkin under running water to remove dirt and debris.
- Use acrylic paint if you wish to paint your pumpkin.
- Don’t carve your pumpkin as that will cause it to rot and disqualify you.
- Use a glue gun or straight puns to attach decorations to your pumpkin.