Solon Public Library Foundation
Don Ochs Scholarships
As a professor of Rhetoric and Communications at the University of Iowa, Don Ochs knew that continuing education was the key to unlocking a better future for anyone willing to try. As an avid reader himself, Don knew that a strong public library is essential to the support those who dreamed of a better future for themselves and for others. In honor and memory of Don Ochs and his commitment to the Solon community of learners, the Solon Public Library Foundation awards two (2) $500 scholarships each year in his name to promote and support lifelong learning for members of our Solon community.
A Don Ochs scholarship is available to two (2) students graduating from Solon High School or a home school program in the Solon Community School District, each of whom has submitted an application which includes the following criteria:
1. A statement that explains the student’s intention to continue their education at a college or university, or to participate in a trade or vocational program.
2. An essay (minimum of 300 words) regarding:
a. How your life (or family, or friends) will be influenced by you accepting the challenge of lifelong learning, or;
b. How the Solon Public Library has impacted your life.
3. A description of:
a. Your service to the Solon community, or a unique educational experience that you’ve enjoyed, and;
b. How either your community service or your unique educational experience has impacted you and how it will influence the way you will give back to your community in the future.
4. Include your full name, address, phone number, and email address with your application.
5. Applications must be received or post-marked by Friday, March 24, 2023
6. You may email a pdf of your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
or mail or drop off your application to: Solon Public Library
Attn: Liz King
320 W Main St.
Solon, Iowa 52333
Scholarship recipients will be chosen by a review and discussion of all applications (excluding the applicant’s name) by a panel of judges selected by the Solon Public Library Foundation board of directors.