Local Information can be found at these sites:
- City of Solon (Website)
- Johnson County, Iowa (Website)
- State of Iowa (Website)
- File for Iowa Unemployment Benefits (Website)
- Iowans experiencing any type of legal problem due to the pandemic can call the free COVID-19 Legal Information Hotline at 1-800-332-0419. Iowa Legal Aid
- COVID-19 Iowa Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention Program (Website) Governor Reynolds has allocated federal CARES Act funds to assist Iowans who have been economically impacted by COVID-19 and may be facing housing hardships. This program will provide short-term relief to income-eligible renters and homeowners who are at risk of eviction or foreclosure.
- The United Way Community Disaster Assistance Fund is accepting applications for urgent needs such as rental assistance, medications and household supply items. Click here for more information.
- Need Pet Food? The Iowa City Animal Care & Adoption Center is currently closed but has a pet food pantry to those in need. If you are looking for pet food or to make a donation to the pantry, please call 319-356-5295.
If you need food assistance...
- Solon Food Pantry: Contact 319-430-8655 for details.
- Solon Food Pantry & Solon Community School District are offering hot meal pick up on Thursdays from 4:30-6:30PM. contact Becky West at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. (Ended 7/30/2020)
- Solon Senior Citizens: Old Gold Diner is working with Solon Senior Advocates and Solon Senior Support to offer grocery deliveries, medications and meals to your homes. Please call Sandy Hanson at 319-430-8655 or Jill Weetman at 319-624-2773.
"Johnson County households experiencing food insecurity can receive boxes of free, fresh, local produce through November with our 2020 Farm Stands program." Learn more.
Food delivery is now available to anyone living in Johnson County who needs food but cannot access other resources due to COVID-19. People can call (319) 519-6165 between 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday through Friday to request food delivery. They will be asked a few questions about their household, and delivery will happen within 48 hours. Agencies can also contact this line to set up a time to pick-up food for their clients. Recipients will receive pre-packed bags of food based on what is available.For more information about CommUnity's services, volunteer opportunities, and donation acceptance policy, visit builtbycommunity.org/covid19.
- Department of Human Services: Apply for food assistance and learn more about other COVID-19 resources through DHS.
- Department of Public Health: Learn about the WIC program, a Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children, or sign-up for WIC here.
- Department of Education: Eligible schools and organizations across Iowa are providing USDA Child Nutrition Summer Food Program (SFSP) meals now to children 18 and under. Find a summer meal site near you; call 211 or 1-866-3-HUNGRY; or text “FOOD” or “COMIDA” to 877-877.
Local Volunteer Opportunities...
- Solon Food Pantry & Solon Senior Advocates: Contact Sandy at 319-430-8655
- Donate to the Solon Food Pantry via Venmo: @Sandy-Hanson-16
- Solon Senior Support: Contact Jill Weetman at 318-624-2773
- Help with family meals through the Solon Food Pantry & Solon Community School District: Send monetary donations Attn: Becky West at 301 S. Iowa Street, Solon, IA 52333.
- Sew Fabric Masks for essential workers, immunocompromised, teachers, and elderly individuals.