Local Information can be found at these sites:
- City of Solon (Website)
- Johnson County, Iowa (Website)
- State of Iowa (Website)
- File for Iowa Unemployment Benefits (Website)
- Iowans experiencing any type of legal problem due to the pandemic can call the free COVID-19 Legal Information Hotline at 1-800-332-0419. Iowa Legal Aid
- COVID-19 Iowa Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention Program (Website) Governor Reynolds has allocated federal CARES Act funds to assist Iowans who have been economically impacted by COVID-19 and may be facing housing hardships. This program will provide short-term relief to income-eligible renters and homeowners who are at risk of eviction or foreclosure.
- The United Way Community Disaster Assistance Fund is accepting applications for urgent needs such as rental assistance, medications and household supply items. Click here for more information.
- Need Pet Food? The Iowa City Animal Care & Adoption Center is currently closed but has a pet food pantry to those in need. If you are looking for pet food or to make a donation to the pantry, please call 319-356-5295.
If you need food assistance...
- Solon Food Pantry: Contact 319-430-8655 for details.
- Solon Senior Citizens: Old Gold Diner is working with Solon Senior Advocates and Solon Senior Support to offer grocery deliveries, medications and meals to your homes. Please call Sandy Hanson at 319-430-8655 or Jill Weetman at 319-624-2773.
Food delivery is now available to anyone living in Johnson County who needs food but cannot access other resources due to COVID-19. People can call (319) 519-6165 between 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday through Friday to request food delivery. They will be asked a few questions about their household, and delivery will happen within 48 hours. Agencies can also contact this line to set up a time to pick-up food for their clients. Recipients will receive pre-packed bags of food based on what is available.For more information about CommUnity's services, volunteer opportunities, and donation acceptance policy, visit builtbycommunity.org/covid19.
- Department of Human Services: Apply for food assistance and learn more about other COVID-19 resources through DHS.
- Department of Public Health: Learn about the WIC program, a Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children, or sign-up for WIC here.
- Department of Education: Eligible schools and organizations across Iowa are providing USDA Child Nutrition Summer Food Program (SFSP) meals now to children 18 and under. Find a summer meal site near you; call 211 or 1-866-3-HUNGRY; or text “FOOD” or “COMIDA” to 877-877.
Local Volunteer Opportunities...
- Solon Food Pantry & Solon Senior Advocates: Contact Sandy at 319-430-8655
- Donate to the Solon Food Pantry via Venmo: @Sandy-Hanson-16
- Solon Senior Support: Contact Jill Weetman at 318-624-2773
- Help with family meals through the Solon Food Pantry & Solon Community School District: Send monetary donations Attn: Becky West at 301 S. Iowa Street, Solon, IA 52333.
- Sew Fabric Masks for essential workers, immunocompromised, teachers, and elderly individuals.